INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
UPDATED COVID-19 INFORMATION for IPRD
Independence Aquatic Center Hours: August 5th- 16th/ Monday- Sunday 12-6pm/ All Daily Admission $4.00 per person. The last day the Independence Aquatic Center will be closed for the 2020 summer season is Sunday, August 16th. All information is subject to change at the discretion of the Independence Parks & Recreation Department.
We are no longer accepting private swim lessons for the 2020 summer season.
** In order to maintain social distancing for our staff, we will not be renting the Party Shelter to the public in 2020. We will be using that area as the Lifeguard Breakroom.
** Use the Independence Aquatic Center at your own risk. Please stay home if you or any member of your household is sick. Remember to wash your hands frequently. Maintain social distance.
** Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through all of the changes and safety recommendations we have had to encounter during this time.
Governor Reynold’s Full Proclamation may be found at the link below in its entirety: https://governor.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Public%20Health%20Proclamation%20-%202020.05.13.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
In response to updated recommendations from the CDC, the Governor’s recent announcement and out of an abundance of caution, the City is announcing the following:
- Falcon Civic Center: For any new members, we have the lowest rates in Buchanan County: ONE YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines, hand washing, and safety precautions in place
- River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to pick up balls, shut off and unplug the orange cord on HitTrax, and shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course! Thank you & Stay Safe.
- All of our facilities are enforcing and encouraging social distance and to please stay home if you or someone in your household is sick.
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Thank you for your patience & understanding. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found on the City’s COVID-19 webpage. Updates will continue via the City’s social media outlets & website. http://independenceia.org/533/Coronavirus
Please Stay Safe
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
The 2020 IPRD Activity Guide is available as a PDF here!!
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has many projects in the works including: resurfacing Field 3 at the Complex, remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand and restrooms, adding of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a cardio workout room, Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Thu Aug. 13
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 7pm
Friday 5am- 6pm
Saturday 12pm- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Staffed Hours: Monday & Thursday 3:30-8pm
24HR Access is available with memberships. Call 319-332-1525 for info.
Please call ahead (319-332-1525) for cage rentals
Must bring own equipment, we will supply balls only. No more than 3 people per cage and must maintain 6 feet of social distance
24-HOUR ACCESS NOW AVAILABLE at
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Aquatic Center HOURS
August 5th- 16th
Monday- Sunday 12-6pm
Please call 319-334-7464 with questions or to check weather closures.
Please stay home if you are sick, wash your hands often, and maintain social distance.
The last day the pool will be open for the 2020 season is Sunday, August 16th.
All information is subject to change at the discretion of the IPRD.
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2020 IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available & we have the lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- Classes Resume September 8th... New Class Format to be offered, like us on facebook for more information as it become available. Offered monthly beginning September 8th at River'sEDGE. Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6pm. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning- Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- 2020 Fall Ball Baseball & Softball Leagues- Must register as a team- NO scores or League Standings will be kept... Baseball: 8 teams in each division 10U, 11U & 12U (age determined as of 2021 USSSA Season)/ drop dead games at 80minutes/ Includes 10 games (2 games each Saturday (August 22, 29, Sept. 12, 19, 26)/ 1st games at 9:30am and last games at 3:30pm// 13U Baseball: 8 teams (age determined as of 2021 USSSA Season)/ drop dead games at 80minutes/ Includes 10 games (2 games each Sunday (August 23, 30, Sept. 13, 20, 27)/ Times still to be determined// Softballl: 8 teams in each division 10U, 12U & 14U (age determined as of 2020 USSSA Season)/ drop dead games at 75minutes/ Includes 10 games (2 games each Sunday (August 23, 30, Sept. 13, 20, 27)/ 1st games at 9:30am and last games at 3:30pm Registration with contact information and payment of $350 per team is accepted at the Falcon Civic Center
- At this point, the 2020 Fall Craft & Vendor Show is still on at the Falcon Civic Center on Saturday, October 17th from 9am- 3pm. We will be reducing the number of booths we have available to help maintain proper social distance. If you are interested in the Fall Craft Show, please contact Angie @ 319-334-6711.
- Adult Coed Softball League- August 19th- September 30th on Wednesday nights beginning at 6:30pm at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. Cost is $200, register and pay as a team at the Falcon Civic Center. Open to men and women 18 years and older.
- River'sEDGE Baseball Tryouts for the 2021 Season will be held on Tuesday 8/11, Wednesday, 8/12, and Thursday 8/13 with registration at 5pm and start time at 5:30pm at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. River'sEDGE is holding open tryouts for 9U, 10U, 11U & 12U baseball players interested in playing travel baseball in 2021, age is determined as of May 1st, 2021. Cost is $10 (non-refundable and payable to RE). Tryouts for 9U & 10U will be August 11th at 5:30pm, 11U Tryouts will be held on August 12th at 5:30pm and 12U Tryouts will be held on August 13th at 5:30pm- All meet at the Complex. 2021 expected cost per player is $510 RE Black and $435 RE Lime. If you have questions or would like more information, please call Bob Beatty @ 319-215-5832.
- Kindergarten- 6th Grade Flag Football Leagues Open to boys and girls entering Kindergarten- 6th grade in the 2020-21 school year. Games will be played on Thursday NIghts at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. All children registered will be divided and placed on teams with volunteer coaches. If you would like to volunteer coach, please contact 319-334-6711. Games will begin on Thursday, August 27th and continue for approximately 5 weeks- Kindergarten & 1st grade: 5:30pm- 6:15pm @ Complex, 2nd/3rd Grade & 4th/5th/6th grade: 6:30-7:30pm or 7:30-8:30pm @ Complex. Practices are arranged by the volunteer coaches. Cost: K-1st $30 and 2nd- 6th grade $45. Register and pay at the Falcon Civic Center by August 14th, so we can arrange teams and begin practices. Questions, call 319-334-6711.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter