INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
After careful consideration and in an abundance of caution for our staff, crafters, vendors, and shoppers, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Fall Craft & Vendor Show scheduled for Saturday, October 17th in Independence, IA. Following increased concerns about the coronavirus, the start of flu season, and a possible lack of traffic/ shoppers attending the show, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event, but feel it is the right decision at this time. We thank everyone for their interest and loyalty to participate in this event. We look forward to seeing you in the Fall of 2021 (anticipated date Saturday, October 16th).
At this point, we are still waiting to make a decision on the "Just for Kids" Holiday Store. We will post updates as they become available. Thank you in advance for your patience & understanding.
FALCON CIVIC CENTER: Lowest membership rates in Buchanan County: ONE YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines, hand washing, hand sanitizer, and safety precautions in place. For High School Students following hybrid models or online learning, the Falcon Civic Center weight room is open and fairly empty during the day if students would like to come in to get their PE and Strength & Conditioning done :) See pricing above.
River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to pick up balls, shut off and unplug the orange cord on HitTrax, and shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course!
All of our facilities are enforcing and encouraging social distance and remind you to please stay home if you or someone in your household is sick.
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found online. Thank you.
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
2021 IPRD Activity Guide Here:
We are in the process of putting together the 2021 annual Activities Guide and our goal is to have it available to the public before the first of the year. If you have pictures of family and friends enjoying the parks, participating in activities, taking advantage of our facilities you would like to share, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a fitness instructor and would like to offer classes with the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, please contact our department at 319-334-6711. We would be happy to sit down and discuss options!!!
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has many projects in the works including: remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand and restrooms, adding of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a cardio workout room, Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 8pm
Friday 5am- 7pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Staffed Hours: Monday & Thursday 3:30-8pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
24HR Access is available with memberships. Call 319-332-1525 for info.
Please call ahead (319-332-1525) for cage rentals
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2020 IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available & we have the lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- Classes resume September 14th... New Class Format to be offered, like us on facebook for more information as it become available. Offered monthly beginning September 14th at River'sEDGE. Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5.00 drop-in per student per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus will include some cardio (not always on the bench) & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls, works with the class and moves at each individual's pace, so everyone is successful. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- River'sEDGE Summer Ball Tryouts for the 2021 Season have been complete and teams have been posted on the front window at River'sEDGE. If you have questions or would like more information, please call Bob Beatty @ 319-215-5832.
- We have begun accepting registrations for upcoming Youth Basketball activities (Kindergarten 1-Day Camp, 1st & 2nd grade Clinic (5 dates), 3rd & 4th grade Boys Basketball League. Information is available on the calendar or by calling 319-334-6711 or stopping by the Falcon Civic Center.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter