Independence Parks & Recreation Department
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
The 2020 IPRD Activity Guide is available in hard copy at the FCC!!
We hope you enjoy it and find it full of valuable information. Let's Have a Great 2020!!!
Improvements... Always Thinking... Ideas Welcome...
The Parks & Recreation Department is currently working on the 2020 Budget as well as 5 & 10 year capital improvement plans. We have been busy working on various improvement projects including: remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, addition of a playground at the Complex, additional batting cages have been added to River'sEDGE, 24 hour access key fob system installed at River'sEDGE, 4 permanent bags courts are now painted at River'sEDGE, modifications to add automatic ball feeders to various pitching machines is underway at River'sEDGE, projection televisions have been added to River'sEDGE, a project to move cardio equipment into a remodeled racquetball court is in the beginning stages at the Falcon Civic Center, additional single movement pieces of weight equipment will be added to the weight room at the Falcon Civic Center, interior painting at the Falcon Civic Center, 24-Hour Access at the Falcon Civic Center in the next 12 months, clearing out overgrown trees and brushes in the Community Orchard was complete earlier this fall, trees are being trimmed and branches are being picked up throughout the parks system. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Thu Feb. 27
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 8am- 4pm
Sunday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-2606 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center. If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Please feel free to call ahead to check gym availability before making the trip into town. Thank you in advance for your cooperation & understanding.
Monday- Thursday 3:30-9pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
24-HOUR ACCESS NOW AVAILABLE at River’sEDGE with the purchase of membership!!! Call Lucas @ 319-332-1525 for details.
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
Advertise YOUR business where the community PLAYS...
- $125- Little League Team Sponsor
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Travel Team Banner
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4'x8' sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (2'x3')
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
- $50- IPRD Activities Brochure Advertisement (1/4" page)
Form is available at the Falcon Civic Center or email your request to email@example.com
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Stop In & Check Us Out!! Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, New paint, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE has seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1,2,3,4a, 4b, 5a,5b, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have 14 teams registered for our 2nd Session of Thursday Night Bags League which will began Thursday, 1/9 and will continue through 2/13. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Would you like to become a LIFEGUARD for the Independence AQUATIC CENTER this SUMMER? We hire Certified Lifeguards. Get certified now and work with us this summer!!! Certification Classes are being offered across the state through the Winter.... All are listed at https://www.iapra.org/aquatics.htm
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt, Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Register NOW!! Dodgeball which will meet on Tuesdays, March 3rd, 10th & 17th from 4:30-5pm at River'sEDGE. It is open to 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grade Boys and Girls. This is not an instructional program, it is a time to play dodgeball with kids your age. The cost is $15, register and pay at River'sEDGE.Wiffleball is open to 4, 5 & 6 year olds. This program is designed for kids to have fun while learning and playing wiffleball (T-Ball played indoors with a plastic bat and wiffleball). Volunteer Helpers are needed!! Contact Angie @ 319-334-6711. The cost is $20 per participant (20 participants is the max limit) This program will meet on 3 Thursdays (March 5th, 12th, 19th) from 5:15-6pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. Register and pay at the Falcon Civic Center.
- YOUTH BAGS LEAGUE- Calling all kids 18 years and younger!! Bags League to be held at River'sEDGE on 4 Thursdays (February 13, 20, 27 & March 5) from 4-6pm at River'sEDGE. Warm-ups begin at 3:30pm & Games begin at 4pm. Bags & Boards are provided at River'sEDGE. Cost is $5 per person. Register with a partner or individually and we will partner you up. Register by calling Lucas @ 319-332-1525.
- Every Body BOOT CAMP- This class will focus on building muscle while burning calories through a variety of strength & cardio exercises. All ability levels are welcome, we do encourage you to check with your physician before beginning this or any new exercise program. Class will run on Mondays & Wednesdays from 6-6:45pm from January 20- February 19 at the Falcon Civic Center. The cost is $35 for the class or $4 drop-in. The Instructor for this class is Janet Buls.
- Fitness Opportunities... ROCFIT, Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter