Independence Parks & Rec- It's All HERE!!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities, and programs/ classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE us on Facebook.
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
December 1st- March 31st
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
Monday- Friday 3:30pm- 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 5:00pm
Sunday 10:00am- 5:00pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, classes and clinics offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX.
We are looking to hire Seasonal Parks Employees to work 40 hours per week and start as early as April 1st... Applications available at the Falcon Civic Center. The City of Independence is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/Disability/ Veteran.
Certified Lifeguards Wanted...
The Independence Aquatic Center will hire responsible and hardworking certified lifeguards for the 2019 Aquatic Season. Certification classes are offered across Iowa... See Informational Flier
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2019 League Sponsors & Advertising Opportunities...
- $100- Little League Team Sponsor
- $50- Logo on River'sEDGE Travel Team Banner
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4'x8' sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (2'x3')
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
- $50- IPRD Activities Brochure Advertisement (1/4" page) (850-1000 copies)
Form is available here or at the Falcon Civic Center.
Independence Parks & Rec ~ Want to Know ~
- We have begun to accept registrations for all of our IPRD Summer Ball Leagues- T-Ball ($28- Boys and girls currently 4 years old, those who will turn 4 years old by April 15th, 2019, and those entering Kindergarten in the 2019-20 school year), Coach-Pitch ($32- Girls and Boys currently in Kindergarten or 1st grade 2018-19 school year), Minors ($40- Boys and Girls currently in 2nd or 3rd grade 2018-19 school year), Majors ($50- Girls & Boys currently in 4th, 5th or 6th grade 2018-19 school year) & 7th Grade Girls Travel Softball. More details are available in the 2019 IPRD Activities Guide and on informational fliers at the Falcon Civic Center. We have also sent our 1st batch of fliers home with the children in the Independence Community School District including St. John.
- LAST OF THE SEASON BAGS LEAGUE- Game played on Thursday Nights between 6-9pm at River'sEDGE and the 6-week season will run February 28th- April 4th. This bags league features flexible scheduling, End of Season Fool's Tournament, March Madness Basketball Games on the Big Screens, adult beverages and concessions available while you play or watch!! We have 12 teams participating in this league & look forward to a great league to end the bags season.
- Memberships to the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE are available for purchase. Cost information is available by clicking on the column at the left of this page or feel free to call the Falcon Civic Center @ 319-334-6711 or River'sEDGE at 319-332-1525.
- Dodgeball & Wiffleball begin the week of March 4th!! Dodgeball (open to 2nd- 4th graders and played at River'sEDGE) will be played on Tuesdays at 4:30-5pm (March 5th, 12th & 19th). We have approximately 20 kids registered and are looking forward to a great time had by all. Wiffleball (open to 4-6 year olds and played at the Falcon Civic Center) will be played on Thursdays at 5:15-6pm (March 7th, 14th, 21st). We have our maximum of 20 children registered for this program. Volunteer Helpers are NEEDED for this program. If you would like to help, please contact Angie @ 319-334-6711.
- ROCFIT: FREE Trial Classes to be offered Tuesday, March 5th & Thursday, March 7th at 4:30am at River'sEDGE. The next 6-week session of this class begins on Monday, March 11th and will meet Monday- Thursday at 4:30am for 6 weeks at River'sEDGE. The cost is $150 for the entire 6-week session. Price will decrease by $25 each week if you are unable to commit to the full 6-weeks. Payment options are available... we do prorate, please contact the Instructor, Tiffany, @ 319-404-5453 or visit their website at www.roctrainingcenter.com
- Cardio Combo Strength (CC's) Class & Pilates OFFERED at the FALCON CIVIC CENTER. Cardio Combo Strength will run March 18th- May 1st on Mondays & Wednesdays at 5:30-6:15pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Consists of a mixture of cardiovascular & strength moves./ All levels welcome/ Cost is $42 per person for the entire 7 weeks of classes or $4 drop-in is also offered/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center/ Janet Buls is the Instructor for these classes. Pilates will run March 20th- May 1st on Wednesdays only at 6:20-7pm in the large meeting room at the Falcon Civic Center/ Pilates is a no-impact exercise program performed on a mat and designed to use your body as resistance through movement to improve your strength and flexibility./ This class will focus on beginners but all levels are welcome./ Cost is $21 for all 7 classes or $4 drop-in to 15 people. We need a min. of 5 people registered and will accept a maximum of 15 people total./ Register at the Falcon Civic Center/ Janet Buls will be the instructor for this class.
- AM Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout: 5:45am- 6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Instructor: Janet Buls/ Cost: Wednesday Only is a $4 drop-in or M-W-F is $24 per month/ Mondays & Fridays will focus on flexibility & cardio. Wednesdays Wake-Up Workout will focus on strength & cardio/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm (we will keep you posted but, classes may change to M/W or T/TH). Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: ALL participants MUST sign in at the front desk at Rive'rsEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- The 2019 Indee Bark Park Tags are HERE (at the Falcon Civic Center)... $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations!! $3.00 day passes are also available.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter
- ALL SWIMMING REGISTRATION BEGINS on MONDAY, APRIL 1st, 2019 @ the Falcon Civic Center!!