Independence Parks & Recreation Department
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
Financial Assistance Options Available...
It is our goal to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the programs/ leagues we offer has every opportunity to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
The program information on this Parks & Recreation web page is updated yearly, so much of the information regarding programs, leagues, and clinics is consistent with our 2018 IPRD ACTIVITY GUIDE. Information on dates and times will be updated to reflect the 2019 Activity Guide in December 2018. Thank you.
Falcon Civic Center FALL HOURS
(September 1st- November 30th)
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 7:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
River'sEDGE SEPTEMBER HOURS
Monday 3:45pm- 8:00pm
Wednesday & Thursday 3:45pm- 8:00pm
Sunday 12noon- 4:00pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on classes offered. rental availability, and/or to reserve cages.
Independence Parks & Rec ~ Right Now Info. ~
- All of the boys and girls who have registered for IPRD Youth Flag Football have been placed on teams and assigned to a volunteer coach. If your Kindergarten- 6th grade child is registered and you have not been notified by a coach, please contact the Independence Parks & Rec @ 319-334-6711 and we will release the coaches contact information to you. Kindergarten/1st Grade Flag Football will play their 1st game of the season this Thursday, 9/20 at 6pm at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. Team shirts will be handed out to coaches at the Complex concessions stand that night prior to your game. 2nd/3rd Grade & 4th-6th Grade Flag Football will begin their season play on Saturday, 9/22 at 9am & 10am at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex.
- ROCFIT: Classes meet on Mondays- Thursdays at 4:30am at River'sEDGE and the cost is $150 for 6 weeks of classes. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high-level athlete. Try it TODAY!! Payment options are available... we do prorate, contact the Instructor, Tiffany, at 319-404-5453 or visit their website at www.roctrainingcenter.com
- AM Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout: 5:45am- 6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym/ Instructor: Janet Buls/ Cost: Wednesday Only is a $4 drop-in or M-W-F is $24 per month/ Mondays & Fridays will focus on flexibility & cardio. Wednesdays Wake-Up Workout will focus on strength & cardio/ Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- ADULT FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE we NEED 5 Teams by Friday, September 21st or this league will NOT run. First games of the night will begin at 6pm and will be played rain or shine. Grab some friends and a cheering section and sign up to have a great time playing flag football in this all pass league. Cost is only $75 per team, register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- HALLOWEEN BOO BASH: Friday, October 26th from 5:00pm- 7:00pm @ the Falcon Civic Center (1305 5th Avenue NE, Independence, IA 50644) Featuring: Games, Crafts, Snacks, Photo Booth... Wear a costume for a SPOOKtacular good time!! Family Fun is BREWING at the Falcon Civic Center with the Independence Public Library!! All ages are welcome to this FREE Event! Volunteers NEEDED- Contact the Library @ 319-334-2470 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall Craft & Vendor Show will be held on Saturday, October 13th from 9am- 3pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Admission is FREE to the public and everyone is welcome to attend!! Limited booth space is still available!! The fee for a booth at this Craft Show is $30 which includes an 8'x8' booth space, one 8' long table and 2 folding chairs. One additional table is $7.50 if needed. Please Note: NO one is put in the show until payment w/ the signed agreement has been received and receipted. Temporary Sales Tax Permits are not available. Crafters/ Vendors must have a permanent sales tax number through the Iowa Department of Revenue. Contact Person: Angie @ 319-334-6711 or email email@example.com
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter