Independence Parks & Recreation Department
Leagues, Tournaments, Programs, Classes, Special Events & More offered HERE & ALL for YOU!! Check Us Out!!!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome Mr. Brent Reck to the Parks & Recreation Department. Brent is the new Assistant Director, Parks and we are happy to have him. Welcome Brent!!
Falcon Civic Center- WINTER HOURS
(November 1st- March 31st, 2018)
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
Monday- Friday 3:30-8:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 5:00pm
Click on NOTIFY ME on the www.independenceia.org Home Page and follow the steps to receive our Parks & Recreation REC Connect Monthly Newsletter sent directly to you.
20th Annual "Just for Kids" Holiday Store
Our 20th Annual "Just for Kids" Holiday Store will be held on Saturday, December 9th from 10am- 1pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. This special event is a day for children of all ages to come and finish up their holiday shopping for family and friends. Crafters/ Vendors will be on hand to sell small items for between $ .50- $5.00 per item. Volunteers will be on hand to help the day run smoothly. Gifts will be wrapped, free of charge, at the store and ready to go home with the children. Many volunteers and donations of wrapping supplies are needed to help make this event successful!!
Contact Person: Angie @ 319-334-6711
INFO.. Right Here!!
- Right Now, we working diligently on our 2018 Independence Parks & Recreation Activity Guide... Due out prior to January 1st!!
- For up to date information about what is going on now, coming soon, being offered today, modified, made-up, cancelled, etc... please LIKE US on FACEBOOK @ https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec
- The Falcon Civic Center will be CLOSED on Thursday, November 23rd in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday and Hours of Operation on Friday, November 24th will be 10am- 8pm.
- River'sEDGE will be CLOSED on Thursday, November 23rd in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday and Hours of Operation of Friday, November 24th will be 1pm- 8pm.
- YOUTH BASKETBALL: An Instructional camp for K-2nd graders is anticipated. Dates, Times and locations are still being determined. We will keep you posted as details become available. 3rd/ 4th Grade Boys Basketball League: We have 28 boys registered for this league and all participants have been divided and placed on teams with volunteer coaches. Practices have begin and the game season will run November 18th- December 16th with games played on Saturdays at 9am, 10am & 11am at either the Falcon Civic Center Gym or the West Elementary Gym.
- Independence Boys Youth Basketball for 5th- 8th grade is handled through Indee Club Basketball, please contact Chad Beatty, Independence Boys Basketball Coach.
- Independence Girls Youth Basketball for 3rd-8th Grade Girls Basketball Players is handled through Indee Girls Club Basketball, Detailed information may be obtained by contacting Michelle Ohrt @ 563-920-3901 or Zach Osborne at 563-920-4648.
- ROCFIT: The current 6-week Session begins on Monday, 11/13!!! Classes are held Monday- Thursday at 4:30am at River'sEDGE for 6 weeks total. The cost is $150 per person for the entire 6-week session. The price will decrease by $25 each week the class is offered.The Instructor for this class, would like to inform anyone interested that the class fees may be paid on a payment plan. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high level athlete. Tiffany Thoma is our coach and can be reached at 319-404-5453 to answer any questions you may have.
- AEROBICS: Classes are held on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 5:45am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym and the cost will be $24 per month or $3 drop-in per time. The Instructor for this class is Janet Buls. Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- LOW IMPACT "POWER PLUS": Open to all fitness levels. This class taught by Janet Buls will have lots of strength work with mixed in cardio modifications for low impact alternatives. Class meets Mondays & Wednesdays at 5:45-6:30pm from November 6th- December 13th at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. Cost is $4 drop-in per time.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- River'sEDGE Friday Night Bags Tournament Schedule: *December 1st *December 15th *December 29th (2nd Annual Youth Christmas Break Bags Tourney) *January 12th *January 26th (Independence Archery Fundraiser) *February 9th *February 23rd *March 9th (River'sEDGE Travel Teams Fundraiser) *March 23rd (Final Large Pay-Out Tournament) Details available at River'sEDGE and on Facebook... call 319-332-1525 for more information.