Independence Parks & Rec. Dept.
Welcome to the Independence Parks & Recreation Department!!! We are HAPPY to have you...
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
(November 1st- March 31st, 2018)
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
River'sEDGE Sport & Fitness HOURS
Monday- Friday 3:30-9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 6:00pm
Click on NOTIFY ME on the www.independenceia.org Home Page and follow the steps to receive our Parks & Recreation REC Connect Monthly Newsletter sent directly to you.
HitTrax is NOW at River'sEDGE & it is AWESOME!!!!
HitTrax is the world's only baseball/ softball simulator!!
At this point, we are still looking to add a variety of accessories to the HitTrax System and because of that we are still accepting donations. Forms are available at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE.
Visit: www.hittraxbaseball.com Call Bob at 319-334-6711 for details.
HitTrax may be reserved for $12.00 per hour + $1.00 admission per person. Call River'sEDGE @ 319-332-1525 to reserve the cage with system!!
IPRD information below...
- The 2018 Independence Parks & Recreation Activity Guide (To All Things Parks & Rec) is complete and available to the public. Hard copies are available at the Falcon Civic Center & River'sEDGE. The 2018 IPRD Activity Guide at the left of this page for the online version is available now.
- For up to date information about what is going on now, coming soon, being offered today, modified, made-up, cancelled, etc... please LIKE US on FACEBOOK @ https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec
- ABC (Abs, Butt, Core) Class & HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Class: Open to all fitness levels (please consult your physician before beginning any new exercise regimen). Both classes are taught by Janet Buls. The ABC Class will focus on strength training and resistance work on your Abs, Butt & Core. The HIIT Class will be 20 minutes of cardio in short bursts of high intensity work, short cool down. Classes meet January 8th- February 28th on M&W from ABC: 5:45-6:15pm and HIIT: 6:20-6:40pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Cost: $42 for Abc only, $24 for HIIT Only, $60 for both classes or $4 drop-in per time. Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- ROCFIT: As of 1/15, we started the 3rd week of the our current 6-week session of classes. ontinue through February 8th. Classes are held Monday- Thursday at 4:30am or 5:30am at River'sEDGE for 6 weeks total. The cost is $150 per person for the entire 6-week session. The price will decrease by $25 each week the class is offered.The Instructor for this class, would like to inform anyone interested that the class fees may be paid on a payment plan. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high level athlete. Tiffany Thoma is our coach and can be reached at 319-404-5453 to answer any questions you may have.
- Registration is NOW being accepted for the following programs for 4, 5, 6 year olds and 1st- 4th graders: ** Indoor Soccer- includes very basic instruction of soccer through a variety of learning activities. This program meets on Thursdays from 5:15-6pm on January 18th, 25th & February 1st at the Falcon Civic Center. ** Kickball- a game similar to baseball but the large ball is rolled and kicked instead of pitched and batted. Games are played for fun, this is not and instructional program. Max limit of 20 participants/ Cost is $16 and program meets on Thursdays from 4:15-5:00pm on February 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd at the Falcon Civic Center. ** Dodgeball- is an opportunity for 2nd- 4th graders to play dodgeball at River'sEDGE. Max limit of 20 participants, register at River'sEDGE. Cost: $12 per person/ Meets on Tuesdays from 4:15-4:45pm on February 6th, 13th & 20th at River'sEDGE. ** Wiffleball- coed program designed specifically for boys and girls to have fun while learning and playing the game of wiffleball (indoor t-ball). We will accept a maximum of 20 participants, register at the Falcon Civic Center. Volunteer Helpers are needed!! Cost: $12 per person/ Meets Thursdays from 5:15-6pm on March 8th, 15th, 22nd at the Falcon Civic Center Gym.
- BASEBALL/ SOFTBALL SPRING TRAINING: IPRD is offering Spring Training Sessions for all Independence Boys & Girls currently in 2nd or 3rd grades. Stations will be set-up to be used to improve basic baseball/ softball technique including live hitting, soft toss, and tee work, throwing, catching , and fielding in the cages. Meets Thursdays on 3/15, 3/22 & 3/29 from 3:45-4:30pm (Boys Baseball) and 4:45-5:30pm (Girls Softball). Cost is $25 per individual with max class limits of 15 for baseball and 15 for softball. Register at River'sEDGE. Participants should dress comfortably with tennis shoes, bring their glove, a helmet if they have one and a bat if they have one they would like to use.
- REGISTRATION FOR PROGRAMS, SEASON PASSES, GROUPS LESSONS & SWIM TEAM AT THE INDEPENDENCE AQUATIC CENTER BEGINS ON MONDAY, APRIL 2nd @ THE FALCON CIVIC CENTER.
- AEROBICS: Classes are held on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 5:45am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym and the cost will be $24 per month or $3 drop-in per time. The Instructor for this class is Janet Buls. Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- River'sEDGE Friday Night Bags Tournament Schedule: *December 1st (4 teams) *December 15th (9 teams) *December 29th (16 teams) (2nd Annual Youth Christmas Break Bags Tourney) *January 12th (12 teams) (HitTrax Fundraiser) *January 26th (Independence Archery Fundraiser) *February 9th *February 23rd *March 9th (River'sEDGE Travel Teams Fundraiser) *March 23rd (Final Large Pay-Out Tournament) Details available at River'sEDGE and on Facebook... call 319-332-1525 for more information.