Don't give them what they want. Give them what they never thought possible. ~ Orson Welles
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
PLEASE READ... For the most UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office directly at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information constantly changes from original publications. The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $125 Little League Team Sponsor- Due 4/15/21
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Team Travel Banner (3'x5')- Due 4/7/21
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement RENEWAL
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner RENEWAL at River’sEDGE
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo RENEWAL on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- 2022 IPRD Activities Book Advertisement (1/4" page)
Forms available here, via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will be happy to return your call.
Monday- Thursday 3:30-9pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, 24HR access available for members, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, room rental availability, team practices, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
- Register NOW for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues at the Falcon Civic Center... Deadline 4/15/2021!!!!! T-Ball is a coed league open to boys and girls who are currently 4 years old, those who will turn 4 years old by April 15, and those entering Kindergarten in the 2021-22 school year. Coach-Pitch Leagues are split into Boys Coach-Pitch & Girls Coach-Pitch and are open to boys and girls who are currently in Kindergarten or 1st grade (2020-21 school year). The Minors Leagues are once again split into a boys league and a girls league and are open to all girls and boys currently in 2nd or 3rd grade (2021-22 school year). The Majors League are divided into a girls league and a boys league and are open to all boys and girls currently in 4th, 5th or 6th grade (2021-22 school year). All registrations and payment is accepted at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Independence 7th Grade Softball... Open to current 7th Grade Girls (2020-21 school year) The registration deadline for this league is May 1st at the Falcon Civic Center. Coaches were hired by the ICSD and will be Scott Kleve & Cole Trimble this season. The ICSD will bus the team to games. Games are played through June & typically on weekday mornings. Home games are played at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. The cost is $100 per girl, payable to IPRD at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo (Open to 6-99 yr olds) & Little Dragons TaeKwon-Do (Open to 4-6 yr olds)- Like Us on Facebook. Offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Little Dragons meets Mondays & Thursdays @ 4:45-5:15pm @ RE. Regular TKD Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm with bag work from 4:45-5:15pm on those days as well. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5 drop-in per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Covid precautions are in place for this class. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes... Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus includes cardio & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
- HIITING IT ALL with our New Fitness Instructor, Angi Mendenhall. We are offering a new 4-week combo fitness class that will include a mix of cardio, kickboxing, weights, and core work all together. Classes will meet on Mondays from 6:30-7:30pm & Wednesdays 6-7pm at River'sEDGE and the session will run from Monday, April 12th- Wednesday, May 5th. The cost is $32 for the entire 4-week session or if you are unable to commit to 4-weeks, you may pay a $4 drop-in each time you come. Please register and pay at River'sEDGE.
- ROCFIT... This sessions of classes began on March 22 and will run Monday- Thursday at 5-6am for 6-weeks thru April 29th at River'sEDGE. Cost is $125 for 4 times per week or $75 for 2 times per week. Contact: Instructor Tiffany @ 319-404-5453.
- YOGA w/ JANET set to run May 3rd- June 24th on Monday & Wednesday from 5:30-6:10pm in the large meeting room at the Falcon Civic Center. Mats will be available but please feel free to bring your own if you like. Monday class will be focused on power and energizing while Wednesday will be more focused on flexibility and de-stress. Cost: $45 or a $5 dro-in if the max limit has not been met. Register by calling the Falcon Civic Center @ 319-334-6711 and payment is due at the time of your 1st class.
- SWIMMING REGISTRATION will begin on Thursday, April 1st @ the Falcon Civic Center. Group Lessons and Season Passes may be purchased at this time. Swim Team Sign-up will begin at the Pre-Season Meeting which the date and time are still to be determined.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has been working hard on a variety of different projects and have many projects in the future plans. Including but not limited to: remodel of the women's restroom and concessions stand at the Baseball/ Softball Complex, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, water bottle fill station added to the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a kids zone, and transformation of the current game room into a much needed cardio workout room, and additional select rise and squat racks are being added to the weight room. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard and continue to work to get many projects done!! Pictures posted on Facebook through various stages of completion. Stay tuned... more to come!!!